Optimization of propulsion systems
Self-propulsion simulations used for prediction of delivered power to the propeller (PD), propeller shaft speed (n) and propulsor-hull interaction coefficients (WT, t, hR).
- The hull is free to move in trim and sinkage and the method calculates the free surface and wave resistance using 2-phase (water and air) flow, transient RANS and SST-kΩ turbulence model.
- The simulation can be done with fixed trim and sinkage and without hull waves for quicker relative comparisons.
- Through an automated simulation setup different design alternatives can quickly be relatively compared for:
- Comparison of different propulsion systems.
- Optimisation of propeller rotational direction, neutral rudder angles (toe in/out) or thruster orientation (tilt and toe out).
- Thruster-thruster interaction or thruster-hull interaction (e.g. nozzle tilt).