Kongsberg Maritime fast facts
Rolls-Royce Commercial Marine is now an integrated part of Kongsberg Maritime
Kongsberg Maritime’s history as part of leading Norwegian industrial powerhouse KONGSBERG stretches back over 200 years. Today, more than 18,000 merchant ships, fishing vessels, cruise liners, ferries and superyachts, as well as offshore support and research vessels, offshore installations and government craft depend on Kongsberg Maritime technology and people, wherever they are.
With a clear mission to engender immediate and long-term value for customers globally, Kongsberg Maritime is a trusted, stable technology and service delivery partner with focus on developing integrated and intelligent solutions that optimise operations at sea, while simultaneously reducing the resulting environmental impact.
Rolls-Royce Commercial Marine
Rolls-Royce Commercial Marine’s world-class technical capabilities encompass vessel design, the integration of complex systems and the supply and support of power and propulsion equipment. Established at the forefront in mission-critical systems for offshore oil and gas rigs, offshore, merchant and naval vessels, Rolls-Royce Commercial Marine boasts one of the broadest product ranges in the world.
70 of the world’s maritime forces and over 30,000 commercial vessels operate safely and efficiently with Rolls-Royce Commercial Marine systems cutting through complexity and delivering failsafe operations, from the engine room to the working deck.
The Full Picture
The unification of Kongsberg Maritime and Rolls-Royce Commercial Marine and our combined expertise covers a fleet of more than 30,000 vessels. While we are the largest marine technology specialist organisation in the world, with the most extensive product and knowledge base, our focus continues to be on customers and the environment. Only by listening to and predicting industry needs can we enable the transformation so needed to put safety and sustainability first, while continuing to generate value for all stakeholders.
Today, The Full Picture consists of two product portfolios with two world class support networks and almost twice as many expert staff and global locations. The union of Kongsberg Maritime and Rolls-Royce Commercial Marine will shape the maritime future with leading edge operational technology, solutions for big data and digital transformation, new electric and hybrid power systems and truly game-changing developments in remote operations and Maritime Autonomous Surface Ships (MASS).
We development and delivery of integrated vessel concepts for traditional merchant vessels, ROPAX and fishing vessels, as well as offshore and research vessels and offshore installations. KM supplies products and systems for advanced mapping surveying, sonars, underwater communication, marine robotics (Unmanned Surface Vessel and Autonomous Underwater Vehicle), and deliver deck machinery, propulsion, electrical, automation & control solutions. Our systems enhance efficiency and safety throughout the whole maritime technology spectrum and we offer additional competence in providing turnkey design and engineering services within the shipbuilding sectors.
Key markets are countries with large fisheries, offshore, shipyard and energy exploration & production industries. In exploration we provide sophisticated underwater and positioning technology and systems for survey vessel operation. In field development, we support construction and offshore vessels with innovative solutions for operation and specialist applications whilst in production our hardware and software enhances output and minimises downtime. For maritime transport, fisheries and offshore vessels, we supply The Full Picture, including deck machinery, propulsion, navigation, automation, training, safety and autonomous solutions.
- Kongsberg Maritime AS, Kirkegårdsveien 45, P.O. Box 483, NO-3601 Kongsberg, Norway
- Telephone: +47 32 28 50 00 - main switchboard
Kongsberg Maritime is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kongsberg Gruppen (KONGSBERG). KONGSBERG is an international technology corporation that delivers advanced and reliable solutions that improve safety, security and performance in complex operations and during extreme conditions. The Group is a customer focused organization with a worldwide performance culture. KONGSBERG works with demanding customers in the global defence, maritime, oil and gas and aerospace industries.
- Cruise and ferry
- Offshore supply and service
- Offshore exploration and production
- Tugs and workboats
- Specialist vessels, including polar research ships and wind farm support vessels
- Coastguard and other naval vessels
- Marine information technology
- Process automation
- Autonomous solutions
- Vancouver (Port Coquitlam), British Columbia - Sonars & altimeters
- ZhenJiang - Sensors
- Kookola - Waterjets
- Rauma - Azimuth thrusters & Deck machinery
- Hamburg - Subsea monitoring and inspection
- Kiel - Subsea gas measurement & environmental monitoring
- Bergen (Godvik) - Power electric systems
- Bergen (Hagavik) - Steering gear
- Brattvaag - Deck machinery
- Hjørungavåg - Seismic and subsea
- Longvaa - Automation and control
- Horten, Bekkajordet - Automation and control
- Horten, Strandpromenaden - Underwater navigation, echo sounders, sonars, autonomy
- Kongsberg - DP, navigation, automation & control
- Trondheim - Sensors, navigation, communication
- Ulsteinvik - Propellers and thrusters
- Kristinehamn - Propellers
- Dunfermline – Stabilisers & Naval steering gear
- Great Yarmouth - Multibeam echosounders, sonars & sub bottom profilers
- Pocasset, Massachusetts - Autonomous underwater vehicles
- Seattle (Lynnwood), Washington - Autonomous underwater vehicles
- Egil Haugsdal, President
Number of employees
- 7600 people in 117 offices in 34 countries (1. April. 2019)
- Operating revenues: 7 545 MNOK(2018 - prior to merger)
- EBITDA: 594 MNOK(2018 - prior to merger)
As a technology enterprise, our most important contribution to the climate challenge and resource situation is to use our knowledge to develop products that can help address these challenges. Technological advances and the prudent application of them are vital for carrying humanity forward and an important means of overcoming the global challenges we face.
KONGSBERG's Code of Ethics emphasises that all co-workers and the Group's Board of Directors shall maintain high ethical standards in the performance of their duties. The Code of Ethics will also be distributed to all our partners. We expect them to live up to the same ethical standards as we expect of ourselves.