Cecilia landed her dream job after graduation
For Cecilia Armatis Langhelle (25) the choice was between becoming a patissier or an engineer. But when she discovered a course in Technology Design and Management, her choice was easy. Shortly after her graduation, she landed her dream job in KONGSBERG.
WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND?
- I have a bachelor’s degree in Technology Design and Management from NTNU in Gjøvik. When I finished secondary school, I wasn’t sure about what I wanted to do — I either wanted to become a patissier or an engineer. So, first I did one year of food studies at the Folk High School in Bomlø. I love to cook, but it didn’t take me long to realise that this was not the kind of work I wanted to do. Then I discovered the course at Gjøvik. I thought that it sounded interesting and exciting!
- The course is based on product design. New products that have a similar functionality are always coming onto the market. What makes the products different from each other is their design — what materials and design they have, the cost involved in production, and their quality and marketing.
- I did modules in subjects like 3D modelling and worked on everything from product design to colour theory. It had always been in my mind that I wanted to work at KONGSBERG, so this degree was perfect for me.
WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO APPLY FOR A JOB AT KONGSBERG?
- Firstly, the position I applied for was everything I could wish for in a job, and on top of that, I would be able to work on exactly what I had wanted to do! My dad works for Kongsberg Maritime and has always enjoyed his work. One of the positive things about the company is that you have a stable job, as well as great opportunities to develop within the company and work with exciting projects.
WHAT WAS IMPORTANT FOR YOU WHEN APPLYING FOR JOBS?
- For me, it was important to get a good, stable job that could give me good opportunities for learning and development. I grew up in Kongsberg and have family and friends here, so I had always envisaged moving back when I finished studying.
- It was also important for me to get an exciting and interesting job, where I could look forward to going to work every day!
WHAT IS YOUR AVERAGE WORKING DAY LIKE?
- This first period has been extremely educational, and I have spent a lot of time getting to know the systems. I am employed by Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace’s Missile Systems department, and I have spent some time learning more about the company. Apart from that, I have done some work on making 3D models from drawings, to help me become familiar with the design tools we use.
- I’ve got a supervisor. He has been brilliant at keeping an eye on me and gives me great advice when I run into a problem. I also have plenty of nice colleagues who are easy to talk to, and who enjoy passing on their skill set.
WHICH TOOLS OR QUALITIES DO YOU FIND MOST USEFUL AT WORK?
- The tool I use most is Catia V6, which is a design tool for 3D modelling. I also use email and Skype to communicate with my colleagues.
- Personality-wise, I have a good technical understanding and am quite practical when it comes to making products. I like to learn, and I think that technology generally comes naturally to me. I find it easy to see connections, and I think it’s logical and fun to work with.
WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS FOR THE FUTURE?
- I would like to develop in the field in which I am currently working at and become a superuser on the systems we use. I can also eventually see myself passing on my knowledge to others and taking part in bigger projects. My goal is to one day become a project manager on an exciting project in KONGSBERG.
WHAT IS YOUR BEST WORK MEMORY SO FAR?
- I think that my best work memory was when I managed to solve a challenge I had been given. I was supposed to make a specific part for a product, and I was so proud when I managed to solve the challenge. Other than that, I would say that my best work memory is when I started in this department. Everyone made me feel so welcome, which made the transition from college to work seem easy.
DO YOU HAVE A HIDDEN TALENT?
- I’m really good at baking! I love to cook, and I think it’s so relaxing, especially when I feel stressed out. My speciality is baking with yeast and making cakes.