Flekkefjord Slipp & Maskinfabrikk AS in Norway signed a contract with Kongsberg Simrad AS February 19, regarding the delivery of a ship instrumentation system for a new Norwegian research vessel. The contract value is close to 3 mill.Euro.
The ship will be named "G.O. Sars", and will be jointly owned and operated by the Institute of Marine Research in Bergen and the University of Bergen.
The two owners will use the ship for marine research tasks related to oceanography, fish stock assessment, environmental studies and marine geological studies.
Kongsberg Simrad is a leading manufacturer of multibeam echo sounder systems.
The equipment to be supplied by Kongsberg Simrad, comprises:
- SP 70 fish finding sonar with scientific output
- Transducers for fishery research echo sounders
- SM 2000 fishery research multibeam sonar
- ITI trawl instrumentation system
- EM 300 and EM 1002 multibeam echo sounders
- TOPAS PS 018 parametric Sub-Bottom Profiler
- HiPAPÒ acoustic positioning system
- SDP 11 dynamic positioning system
- EN 250 navigation echo sounder
Several of the acoustic transducers will be mounted on drop-keels, in order to avoid air-bubbles in bad weather conditions.
This contract confirms and strengthens the role of Kongsberg Simrad as the leading producer of scientific instrumentation systems for research vessels on a world-wide scale.