M3 Sonar: Multiple Modes for Multiple Applications
Kongsberg Mesotech's M3 Sonar is designed for both imaging and profiling applications and the multibeam technology enables faster operations than traditional scanning sonar and provides a large coverage area for data acquisition and a real-time data display. The M3 Sonar is suitable for a variety of deployment platforms, including remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), pole mounted on a vessel, or mounted on a tripod.
Exclusive to the M3 Sonar is the multimode capability that, in addition to standard imaging and profiling, features a unique enhanced image quality (eIQ) mode designed to provide image quality comparable to high-resolution scanning sonars. With four pre-defined operating modes, the M3 Sonar delivers application capability not found in any other system.
- Imaging : Long-range navigation with a fast update rate
- Enhanced Image Quality (eIQ) : Greatest image quality from a short range with a slightly slower update rate
- ROV navigation : Automatically selects eIQ or imaging based on range
- Profiling : Optimized split beam profiling for bathymetric surveys
M3 Sonar software features
- Bathymetry and 3D point cloud profiling
- Automated GeoTIFF exports for image mosaics
- Dual head synchronization abilities
- Can be integrated with third party software such as HYPACK, EIVA, QINSy and Caris for real-time profile data acquisition and post-processing
The M3 Sonar is easy to use and operate; the multimode capability allows the operator to quickly switch from one operating mode to another. By combining the capability of multiple sonar heads into a single compact housing that performs three types of sonar, the M3 can be used for profiling, forward imaging and side imaging.