New engine room and cargo simulator instructor system from KONGSBERG
Sophisticated instructor tools for enhanced simulator training and assessment
Kongsberg Maritime, a world leading supplier of maritime simulation systems has introduced a next generation monitoring, assessment and configuration tool for its Neptune Engine Room and Cargo Handling simulators. The Neptune Instructor System has been designed to enhance the quality of simulation training by providing complete, user-friendly control of student exercises.
The Neptune Instructor System enables the instructor to develop bespoke exercise modules for individuals, teams or a combination of both from any PC running the application. Using an advanced but intuitive suite of tools, instructor created exercise modules may comprise any of the following components:
- Initial Condition - describes all the variables at the start of the exercise
- Triggers - a combination of events that initiate an Action, e-Coach message or Assessment
- Actions - derived from Input Variables and Malfunctions, which can be initiated instantaneously, or pre-programmed as part of the exercise
- E-Coach Messages - built in, bespoke and automatic student mentoring and performance feedback system
- Student Station Configuration - define what information is accessible and visible to students
- Assessment - monitor and assess alarms, and any of 6,000 variables in the simulation models
A key aspect of the Neptune Instructor System is its integrated recording and playback functionality. Recording of all activity during the simulation exercise takes place automatically and review/debriefing can include the replay of parts of, or the entire exercise in order to focus on specific learning objectives.
Kongsberg Maritime's simulation developers have also introduced an innovative new 'resume' functionality, which enables an exercise to be stopped and started at will. If a student begins to have problems or fails in a particular operation, the instructor can pause the simulation to give guidance or advice, and then resume the exercise. The instructor can also go back to any earlier point in time, and restart from there.
"The Neptune Instructor System offers highly intuitive operation and flexible installation options," comments Mark Treen, Sales & Marketing Manager, Kongsberg Maritime Simulation. "Its modular design enables training institutes to add components as and when necessary, choosing between initial options of Standalone, Neptune Basic and Neptune Pro."
The Neptune Instructor system was developed in close co-operation with the Norwegian Maritime Directorate, Det Norsk Veritas and experienced simulation instructors from all over the world. It can be integrated into any existing Kongsberg Maritime Windows-based Engine Room or Cargo Handling installations ensuring that Kongsberg Maritime's customers are provided with a straightforward upgrade path.