ENGINE POWER LIMITATION
EPL is a functionality available in the AutoChief Digital Governor System (DGS) and CanMan propulsion control system that enables a vessel to limit its engine power output when the pre-set limit is reached, thereby helping operators to keep control of their vessel’s level of emissions in operation. The upgrade to the EPL function is available for cargo and passenger ships to enable a swift and cost-effective compliance with the 2023 IMO greenhouse gas regulatory measures.
Engine Power Limitation (EPL) was developed to enable vessels to quickly and simply comply with the 2023 EEXI requirements by limiting engine power and associated emissions.
The functionality is available for AutoChief C20 DGS and AutoChief 600 DGS delivered for MAN B&W MC and Wärtsilä/Sulzer RTA engines. It is also available for all engines delivered with CanMan systems with load control.
Installing EPL requires a software upgrade of the existing system. The EPL function is added in addition to existing fuel limiters.
Minor hardware add-on is required. The hardware delivery includes a panel with override switch and feedback indications. An additional I/O process unit is installed to meet the requirements for EPL override capability and logging functionality.
EPL WORKING PRINCIPLE
The functionality calculates the engine power output in real-time. The system then compares the engine power output to the engine power limit, and limits fuel index based on actual power. By limiting on actual power input, the EPL function will not affect the engine’s operation (unless the EPL power limit is reached), unlike a mechanical limiter which limits directly on fuel index. In case a shaft generator is installed and should not be a part of the power calculation, the EPL can be set to limit engine power based on input from the shaft power system (ShaPoLi).
The override function enables the operator to exceptionally run the vessel above the pre-defined engine power limit in order to handle situations where the use of additional power (reserve power) is needed to ensure safety of the crew and adequate operating conditions. In addition to the override function, the AutoChief I/O process unit or CanMan system will provide default alarm outputs for logging of the event. For CanMan installations, the alarm outputs are communicated via the VDR interface to an external logging system.
- Solution embedded in the existing AutoChief governor system or CanMan propulsion control system
- Limits fuel index based on actual power without affecting engine operation (unless the EPL power limit is reached)
- Limit on engine power based on calculated power, or input from shaft power system (ShaPoLi)
- No mechanical modification needed
- Minor hardware add-on
- Alarm outputs for logging (via the VDR interface to an external system for CanMan installations)
- Supported by MAN B&W MC engines delivered with AutoChief C20/600
- Supported by Wärtsilä/Sulzer RTA engines delivered with AutoChief C20/600
- Supported by all engines delivered with CanMan load control
- Supports ship compliance with IMO 2023 regulations
A simple, straightforward upgrade performed on existing AutoChief/CanMan system