Mechanical Design Engineer
RAS/FAS & Naval Deck Equipment (Gateshead, Tyne & Wear)
Our marine business is offering an excellent opportunity for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join the RAS/FAS Value Stream team at our offices in Gateshead, UK.
As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will become part of the Marine industry’s leading edge. You’ll have the opportunity to use your skills and experience to the full, in an environment in which excellence is always paramount.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will work as part of a multidisciplinary team producing designs for equipment associated with specialist Naval deck machinery, including Replenishment At Sea (RAS) equipment, winches, reelers and cranes. The position will entail whole life technical involvement from interpretation of customer requirements during tendering, through to concept development, detailed design, manufacturing support, testing and installation onboard the naval vessel. You will also be responsible for identifying and undertaking R&D and improvement activities to keep our product at the cutting edge of Naval technology.
Applicants with previous experience in the marine or offshore oil and gas industry are preferred.
We're at the forefront of innovation and experience in the Marine sector, and our product portfolio ranges from standalone products to complex integrated systems including ship design. A leading provider of propulsion and handling solutions for the maritime offshore, merchant and naval markets, we have more than 4,000 customers, with 70 naval forces and over 30,000 commercial vessels using our equipment.
Key responsibilities and job tasks
- Develop Mechanical Engineering solutions that fulfil client requirements. Progressing from requirements capture, through concept design to product development, commissioning and in-service support.
- Identify and develop R&D and Continuous Improvement opportunities.
- Investigate Safety and Technical problems using structured problem solving techniques.
- Self-motivated, prepared to use their own initiative and able to work independently or work effectively as part of a multidisciplined team.
- Produce and update technical documentation in support of new and updated designs.
- Checking the technical work of others and provide technical guidance to colleagues in other departments and to suppliers and customers.
Qualification and experience requirements
- BEng in a Mechanical Engineering discipline or equivalent technical capability based on practical knowledge and experience.
- Demonstratable engineering experience relevant to this role.
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry.
- Experience spanning concept, product development and in-service (ILS) support.
- Experience of creation of equipment assembly arrangements and Engineering Bills of Materials using the company ERP/MRP system.
- Assessment of designs to ensure code compliance. Using both hand calculations and Finite Elements Analysis (FEA) to assess and optimise the product.
- Experience of product development with 2D and 3D CAD systems such as AutoCAD and Creo.
- Competent user of MS Office suite of programmes (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power-point etc.).
- Conversant with BS EN 8888 and BS EN 22553 for the production of drawings.
Applicants should be used to working in a controlled documentation environment, be self-motivated, and have the attitude to contribute positively to a coherent team.
Good written and verbal communication skills are required together with the ability to interface effectively with formal external approval bodies such as marine classification societies and UK Ministry of Defence departments.
Some of the contracts undertaken are for the UK Ministry of Defence and as such the successful candidate will be required to successfully attain UK BPSS or SC Clearance with no caveats.
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and benefits.
Trusted to deliver excellence.
We are an equal opportunities employer.