Mermaid podded propulsors
Combining the functions of a propulsion motor, main propeller, rudder and stern thruster in a single unit.
Offering flexibility in vessel design and machinery layout
Mermaid pods offer flexibility in vessel design and machinery layout. They combine the functions of a propulsion motor, main propeller, rudder and stern thruster in a single unit. The integrated electric motor drives the shaft, saving space on board and eliminates the need for a gearbox. The propeller is a fixed pitch high skew design for low noise and vibration. It can be supplied as a monobloc or with separately bolted blades, that can be simply changed in the event of damage. All seals are environmentally friendly, with no oil release in the event of a failure.
- Powers from 5 to 27MW
- Synchronous motor with brushless excitation, or induction motor
- Excellent manoeuvring capability
- Flexible machinery arrangement with simpler machinery installation
- High efficiency with low noise and vibration
- Environmentally friendly sealing arrangement
- Remote controlled brake and locking unit
- Pulling azimuth unit for maximum propulsive efficiency.
|Standard Mermaid sizes||Power Synchronous motor (MW)||Power Induction motor (MW)||Shaft speed (rpm)||Weight (t)||Prop. dia. (m)||Speed (knots)|
|185||6 - 11||6 - 11||110 - 210||70 - 115||3.6 - 5.4||Up to 24|
|210||8 - 16||8 - 16||105 - 195||110 - 155||4.1 - 5.9||Up to 24|
|232||11 - 20||11 - 20||100 - 180||145 - 190||4.5 - 5||Up to 24|
|250||13 - 23||13 - 23||95 - 170||185 - 220||4.9 - 7||Up to 24|
|277||15 - 27||15 - 27||90 - 160||210 - 270||5.4 - 8.0||Up to 24|
All data subject to change without prior notice
- Cooling cubicle: Mounted on the steering unit and contains the fans, coolers and air drying equipment.
- Steering unit: The steering machinery is mounted in the pod seat and contains the slewing bearing, steering gear wheel and steering motors. These can be either electric or hydraulic.
- Pod seating: Custom built for each hull. Is delivered fairly early to the yard and becomes an integral part of the hull.
- Pod unit: Rotates 360°, +/- 35° in transit. Equipped with slip rings and fluid distribution swivel inside steering unit.