Podded azimuth propulsors
We offer podded azimuth propulsion systems optimised for specific operations
Our electrical podded azimuth propulsion systems, type Mermaid has steadily evolved over the last decade. The range offers five fame sizes from 1,850mm to 2,770mm motor stator diameter, with five powers from 5 to 27MW. Advances in design have increased the power density, which means for a given power the pod diameter can be reduced allowing a more streamlined form for the underwater unit for improved efficiency. Both induction and synchronous motors are offered. For ice-going vessels induction motors are normally specified due to their good torque characteristics at low speed. The application of Mermaid pods is not restricted to passenger vessels or ice going ships. Underwater mountable units are available for rigs, and Mermaid pods are also powering naval vessels.
Thruster Support Pool
At Kongsberg Maritime we understand that our customers require a quick, efficient turnaround when thrusters need to be overhauled.
In response to our customers’ needs, we have launched the thruster support pool (TSP). Our thruster support pool provides replacement units, enabling the exchange of a complete shipset of azimuth and tunnel thrusters, or just a single thruster as part of a planned maintenance solution.
This service considerably reduces the turnaround time of the vessel in dry dock – typically from 21 days down to 4-7 days, thereby increasing vessel availability and reducing off-hire costs.
How does it work?
- The removed thruster is returned to a specialist Kongsberg Maritime workshop where it is cleaned, sandblasted and primed.
- Complete disassembly and inspection of the used unit is undertaken.
- The unit is overhauled according to factory standard specifications using genuine Kongsberg Maritime parts and any design or model related upgrades are incorporated.
- Spin testing is carried out to detect leakage, measure vibration and temperature before performing final adjustments to ensure full functionality.
- The thruster enters into the support pool with new zinc anti-corrosion anodes and approved coating plus an OEM Warranty and society classification.
- Predictable maintenance costs – Fixed price service based on size/type, and condition of returned unit
- Repair & overhaul – Using genuine Kongsberg Maritime parts, incorporating design and model related upgrades
- Spin testing – All refurbished units are spin tested after overhaul
- Classification – Full classification of all units in the support pool
- Cost effective – No capital required for spare units, no Service Engineer waiting time charges
- Time efficient – No repairs or waiting for parts in dry dock leading to a significantly shorter turn-around time
- Maintenance efficiency – Full propulsion shipsets can be changed out in a single drydocking
- Global support – Dedicated facilities will be equipped to provide local service
- Warranty – Up to 18 months OEM warranty provided on units from the thruster support pool
Which product models are available?
We have expanded our thruster support pool to include the most typical combination of thrusters installed on our customers’ vessels, enabling them to take full advantage of this service and order a complete propulsion shipset when planning dry docking activities. In addition to the products shown please check with your local service office regarding the availability of further thruster types.
Contacts and support
If you are interested in learning more about our thruster support pool, or if you would like to discuss your requirements in more detail please contact us and we’ll be happy to help.
- Tel: +48 58 782 06 55
- Tel: +47 8152 0070