EM 2040 MKII Multibeam echosounder, Max. 6000 m
The system fulfills, and even surpasses, IHO-S44 Special Order and the more stringent LINZ specification. The EM 2040 was the first 3-sector broadband multibeam echo sounder in the market, now available as a 200 - 700 kHz system. The operator can on the fly choose the best operating frequency for the application: 300 kHz for near bottom, 200 kHz for deeper waters and 400 - 700 kHz for very high resolution inspection. 600 kHz wide area high frequency mapping mode offers an unprecedented 100-120° swath width. 700 kHz inspection mode provides the highest resolution available contained within a narrow 30° swath.
By alternating between the frequency modes per ping, the system is capable of providing the operator with Multi Frequency Backscatter of up to 5 frequencies in a single pass. The same functionality allows the system to alternate between a full swath mode and a high resolution mode providing full coverage while maintaining ultra high resolution over a target.
Due to the large operating bandwidth, the system has an output sample rate up to 60 kHz. The system can effectively operate with very short pulse lengths, the shortest pulse being 14 microseconds giving a raw range resolution (CT/2) of 10.5 mm. The angular coverage for the 200 and 300 kHz is up to 170°, with coverage up to 8 times water depth on a flat bottom. For a dual transducer system, 220° angular coverage or 10 times the water depth is achieved on a flat bottom.
The EM 2040 MKII is a modular system, fully prepared for upgrading to cater for more demanding applications.
The basic system has four units :
- the transmit transducer
- the receive transducer
- a processing unit
- a hydrographic workstation
The EM 2040 MKII receiver is 0.5° and is delivered with a 0.25° or 0.5° transmitter(s). The transmit fan is divided into three sectors pinging simultaneously at separate frequencies ensuring a strong and beneficial dampening of multibounce interference.
As an option the EM 2040 MKII can be delivered with dual swath capability, allowing a sufficient sounding density to meet survey coverage standards along track while maintaining a high vessel speed. A single transmitter with dual receiver setup fully exploits the unique angular coverage of our three-sector transmitter for full 220° angular coverage per ping.
The specialised dual transmitter and receiver setup is ideal where mounting requires a large separation of receivers, where mounting the transmitter at the keel is not an option or for ROV pipeline surveying and free span detection. This configuration transmits on a single sector per transmitter with selectable frequency in steps of 10 kHz from 200 to 400 kHz.
The standard depth rating of the EM 2040 MKII transducers is 6000 m, making it ideal for operation on subsea vehicles such as ROVs or AUVs. A 50m depth rated version without export restrictions is also available.
- Ultra high resolution
- MultiFrequency Mode (see webinar here)
- Seabed image
- Wide frequency range
- Short pulse lengths, large bandwidth
- Roll, pitch and yaw stabilisation
- Transmit and receive nearfield focusing
- Depth rated to 6000 m. A 50 m depth rated version is also available.
- FM chirp
- Extra detections
- Water column display and logging
- Dual swath
- Dual RX
- Dual TX
- Easy to install
- Frequency range: 200 to 700 kHz
- Max ping rate: 50 Hz
- Swath coverage sector: Up to 170° (single receiver) / 220° (dual receiver)
- Depth rating: 6000 metres and 50 metres versions available
- Beam patterns: Equiangular, equidistant and density and ultra high density
- No. of beams per ping: 512 (Single RX)/1024 (Single RX, Dual Swath)/2048 (Dual RX, Dual Swath)
- Roll stabilised beams: ± 15°
- Pitch stabilised beams: ± 10°
- Yaw stabilised beams: ± 10°
Kongsberg Maritime software
Third party software
Post processing software
- QPS Qimera - advanced multibeam bathymetry processing software
- QPS Fledermaus - 4D geo-spatial processing and analysis tool
- Geocap Seafloor integrated with Neptune for digital terrain modelling
- BeamworX AutoClean
- Eiva NaviSuite NaviEdit and NaviModel
- CARIS HIPS/SIPS post processing
Note: KONGSBERG is not responsible for any system malfunction caused by 3rd party software.
Services and support
24/7 Technical support
Our 24/7 technical support team is there to help at any time, day or night, wherever your vessel is.
CONVERSIONS, RETROFIT AND REFIT
We understand the importance of having the right parts, available in the right place, at the right time.
Ensure that your crew is properly and thoroughly trained. This will reduce operational risk, downtime and maximise return on asset investment.