The Simrad MS70 is a high resolution Multibeam scientific sonar with very low sidelobe levels. It is designed for collection of data from the water column.
The MS70 offers a new dimension to fishery research. As a school of fish changes shape and density constantly, the MS70 is the best possible tool to understand these dynamics with remote sensing. The MS70 was the world's first quantitative multibeam sonar for fishery research applications.
The MS70 operates in the frequency range of 70 to 120 kHz using 800 transmitting and receiving channels. The transducer is mounted on a drop keel, which allows it to look horizontally. Advanced beamforming software is used to form 500 beams, these are spread out 60° horizontally by 45° vertically.
The MS70 Multibeam scientific sonar is designed for high operating flexibility. It provides an acoustic matrix of stabilized and calibrated beams for biomass estimation, fish school characterization andbehaviour studies.
Within the bandwidth of the transducer, the limits for beam steering, and the minimum achievable beam opening, you can selectthe directions, frequencies, and opening angles for the beams. You can set up the system to fit your requirements, and it will provide you with a real-time display for quality control ofthe current data acquisition. The system configuration can be tailored to any requirements, allowing for choice of beamwidths as well as transmission modes.
The MS70 allows characterization and volume estimation of a school of fish using only one single transmission. Schools of fish can be tracked, followed, and studied using multiple consecutive transmissions.
As a consequence of the horizontal transmission using narrow beams, the MS70 allows you to detect and characterize schools of fish even very close to the sea surface.
A typical screen capture is provided. A school of herring is shown in both horizontal and vertical views. An echogram view is provided on the left side of the presentation. The borderlines between the views can easily be moved to adjust the size of each view.
It offers unique features for modern research vessels and environmental monitoring installations that require high qualityscientific data.
- Frequency range is 70 to 120 kHz.
- Provides an acoustic matrix containing 500 beams (25 horizontal and 20 vertical). Each beam is 3° to 4° wide depending on its position in the matrix.
- 60° horizontal operating sector
- 45° vertical operating sector
- -25 dB horizontal side lobe levels
- -35 dB vertical side lobe levels and beam interleakage
- Transceiver operation control
- Sensor input control
- Information display
- Raw data recording with network interface
- Replay of previously recorded data
- Low self noise
- Remote control
- Data subscription functionality
- Define and save your own user settings
- Easy operation with intuitive user interface
- Clear and easily comprehensive echo data
- 25 transceiver boards provide 800 individual channels
Stay in touch with SIMRAD for product information and software updates
Services and support
CONVERSIONS, RETROFIT AND REFIT
We understand the importance of having the right parts, available in the right place, at the right time.
Ensure that your crew is properly and thoroughly trained. This will reduce operational risk, downtime and maximise return on asset investment.