EM 124 Multibeam echosounder, Max. 11000 m
The EM 124 consist of new state-of-the-art electronics and separate transmit and receive transducers in a Mills Cross configuration. It utilizes the same field-proven transducers as the EM 122, making it easy to upgrade. Care has been taken to design a highly, modular and flexible solution with compact electronics for easier and faster installation. Due to a flexible transducer design, the system can be tailored to almost any required size. The largest standard size, 0.5 x 1 degrees, gives the ultimate system performance in terms of resolution and range, while a smaller 4 x 4 degrees solution allowing full ocean depth surveys even on smaller vessels.
Full seabed coverage
The transmit fan is divided into up to 16 individual sectors in dual swath mode. This allows for unique control of the transmit fan, enabling active stabilization in real time to correct for any yaw and pitch movement of the vessel, while roll stabilization is applied on the receiving beams. The result is a stabilized system for full ensonification of the seabed with equally distributed footprints, even in bad weather conditions, leaving no gaps or holes in the mapped area. All beams are maintained and automatically adjusted according to achievable coverage or operator defined limits. Up to 1600 individual beams are available in dual swath mode. Two individual transmitting fans are generated with a small difference in tilt giving a constant sounding separation alongtrack, resulting in a dense sounding pattern on the seafloor.
Clean and high resolution data
Due to the sector transmission technique, the system produces a strong dampening of multi-bounce interference from false echo, resulting in significantly cleaner data. Near field beam focus is applied in real time, both during transmission and reception. Due to sector transmission the focal point will be individual for each sector, resulting in a much sharper transmit beam over the entire swath. On reception, the focus is done dynamically for each beam. The result is a much higher resolution representation of the seabed.
The KONGSBERG EM systems
The EM 124 is part of the new EM platform designed for future challenges. The new datagram format supports several new features, such as extended backscatter calibration and more features will be available going forward. The new format is supported by the KONGSBERG Kognifai digital open ecosystem.
All KONGSBERG EM multibeam echo sounders ensure the best operating environment to safeguard mammals inhabiting the survey area.
- Depth range: 20 to 11000 metres, or full ocean depth. The depth range depends on water temperature, noise level and bottom type.
- Nominal frequency: 12 kHz
- Operating frequency: 10.5 - 13.5 kHz
- Swath width: Typically 6 times the depth or more than 40 km
- Number of swath: 2 swaths per ping
- Pulse length: 1 ms CW to 100 ms FM effective pulse length
- Number of transmit sectors: 16 frequency coded transmit sectors per ping / 8 per swath
- Available transmitter models: 0.5 degree, 1 degree, 2 degrees and 4 degrees
- Available receiver models: 1 degree, 2 degrees and 4 degrees
- Number of receiver beams (per ping): 1600 beams, 1 degree RX 1024 beams, 2 degree RX 512 beams, 4 degree RX
- Multi-bounce suppression: Better than 50 dB
- Beam focusing: On transmit and receive
- Deliverables: Bathymetric data, Seabed imagery data, Water column data, Extra depth detections
- Realtime motion stabilization: Roll: ± 15 degrees, Pitch: ± 10 degrees, Yaw: ± 10 degrees
- Sounding pattern: Equidistant and equiangular
- Gain control: Automatic
- Mammal protection: Gradual start up transmit ramp
- New datagram format *.KMall replaces *.all format
- Sub Bottom Profiler integration available
- Compliant to IHO S-44 order 1A
Post processing software
- QPS Qimera - advanced multibeam bathymetry processing software
- QPS Fledermaus - 4D geo-spatial processing and analysis tool
- Geocap Seafloor integrated with Neptune for digital terrain modelling
- Eiva NaviSuite NaviEdit and NaviModel
- CARIS HIPS/SIPS post processing
Note: KONGSBERG is not responsible for any system malfunction caused by 3rd party software.
Services and support
CONVERSIONS, RETROFIT AND REFIT
We understand the importance of having the right parts, available in the right place, at the right time.
Ensure that your crew is properly and thoroughly trained. This will reduce operational risk, downtime and maximise return on asset investment.