Telecom satellites can offer a variety of services. Historically TV & Radio broadcast and newsgathering have dominated. New it is moving fast towards data transmission and network services like video streaming, data & internet for users on ground, one the move at land, sea and in the air. This enabled by new generations of satellite systems for High, Very High and Ultra High Throughput, HTS, VHTS and UHTS based systems.
The telecom satellites can orbit the earth in many types of orbit planes and inclinations, GEO, MEO, HEO and LEO. They vary in expected lifetime from 7 years in LEO to 21 years in GEO, and they come in different sizes and complexities. This leads to products adapted & optimized to the all the aspects of the applications. This challenges are met by the innovative teams of KONGSBERG, working closely with the satellite primes finding the optimum solution to the project needs.
A Telecom satellite, as any satellite, can be divided into two parts, the Payload and the Platform.
The Payload is the real reason for the satellite, as it enables the function and core use of the satellite. For telecom this is the signal repeater that receive weak signals from ground, performs some signal processing, amplifies the signals and re-transmit them to ground.
The platform is the “carrier” of the payload and controls the satellite. It
- gives the structure & mechanical strength for the satellite to withstand launch,
- receives Tele Commands to the onboard computer for controlling satellite and payload,
- transmits Telemetries from onboard computer to report the status of the satellite,
- supplies power through solar cell panels and power handling system
- enables attitude and orbital (position) control, and
- manages the satellites thermal behavior
KONGSBERG offers products for both telecom platforms and payloads.
1.1 Platform Products
Space Electronics supply Telemetry, Tracking and Command, TT&C, products like Telecommand Receivers and Telemetry Transmitters. A particular option that allows in orbit flexible frequency setting is a great success. Already in space operation, accepted by key satellite primes and operators, and to be launched on multiple programs in the near future. Read more on the TT&C products here.
Space Systems is specialized in mechanisms and can offer cost effective Solar Array Drive Mechanism (SADM) and Antenna Pointing Mechanism (APM).
The SADM ensures that solar arrays always face the sun for maximum energy harvest by a slow rotation movement, and at the same time transferring the electric energy into the satellite platform, making it available to the Payload and all related control functions. Read more about SADM here.
1.1.1 Space Systems offers APMs for both Inter Satellite Link and Data Down Link. The main function of the APM is to provide accurate and stable pointing as well as routing the RF signals. Read more about APM here.Payload Products
Our payload products fall into several categories or families.
- Single or multiple channel units with performing conversions between frequency bands. Such units typically contain a single or a dual frequency conversion, a channel filter, amplification and gain/dynamics control, local oscillator signal generation and a power supply. We have specialized on non-standard cross-band converters, between all standard bands, L- C- X- Ku- and Ka-bands and now moving to Q&V band
- Pre and Post- processors for the market of High and Very High Throughput Satellites [HTS & VHTS] market with advanced onboard digital signal processors [DSP]. Such analogue Pre- and Post-processing units, move, condition and feed the RF signal in/out of the DSP. The pre-and post-processors may be stand-alone units or assemblies, depending on the overall quantities per satellites and other technical details.
- Special Converters and converters assemblies for L&S-Band Mobile satellites, characterized by a high number of beams, thus a high number of converter channels. Such systems might have analogue or digital beamforming, implying different requirements and trade-offs for the frequency converters.
- All signal processing units heavily lean on the Space Electronics internal capabilities of world class SAW filters and an automated thin film hybrid line for highly integrated amplifiers and frequency converters.