As a major world-wide supplier of ship automation and control systems, KONGSBERG has a detailed knowledge of the systems and processes onboard and a thorough understanding of the industry's training needs.
To meet the present and future training needs in the maritime and offshore industry, we have developed a sophisticated cargo handling simulator, K-Sim® Cargo. K-Sim® Cargo includes a range of cargo vessel models, all of which are certified by DNV GL and exceeds the existing STCW requirements.
Highly realistic training tool
All K-Sim® Cargo models are developed based on actual ship specifications and performance data, making the simulator as realistic as possible. K-Sim® Cargo provide high quality training in every aspect, from details in a single sub-system to the overall running of a loading or discharge operation, including handling of emergency situations.
From desktop to full mission simulators
We offer cost-effective solutions to fit every requirement and budget. K-Sim® Cargo can be configured from a PC desktop to an operational full mission simulator using custom panels and ship equipment. In addition, we provide an e-learning (web-enabled) module and the possibility to use floating licences, giving training centres maximum value for money.
The flexible cargo handling simulator system makes the possibility to customize solutions for our clients specific training needs. The cargo control room may be represented by any combination of interactive mimic panels, operational panels/consoles or desk-top stations. The concept allows individually laid out control rooms to meet exact customers requirements. Based on the same core software for all configurations, K-Sim® Cargo can be upgraded or expanded at any time during its life span.
K-Sim® Cargo Instructor system is designed to enhance the quality of simulation training by providing complete, intuitive and user-friendly control of student exercises. The instructor can develop customized exercise modules for individuals, teams or a combination of both. With an automatically recording of all activity during the exercise, a replay function for debriefing and a built-in assessment system, structured training and objective student evaluation have never been easie
Realistic training scenarios
KONGSBERG tailor our customers training facility to their specific needs and develop training programs to meet your goals. To enable this, the K-Sim® Cargo architecture is extremely flexible, and can be used across a range of different interfaces offering benefits in value, flexibility and realism. In addition, we are able to integrate K-Sim® Cargo with K-Chief, a real automation system. This gives a new level of realism, as crew can train on the identical equipment that they will later operate onboard ships.
A Closed Circuit TV surveillance camera function can be integrated into the K-Sim® Cargo, giving students a more complete training scenario. As in live operations, the CCTV mode will give the student/operator the ability to see what is going on at the manifold, to check for instance, if the loading arm is connected or if there is an oil or gas leak.
Extensive model library
The product line is under continuous development with a library currently including the following models: Data sheets are available on the right side.
Cargo Handling Models
- Product Tanker
- Chemical Tanker
- LPG/Ethylene Tanker
- LNG Tankers (Membrane and Spherical)
- Suezmax Tanker
- Very Large Crude Carrier (VLCC)
Ballast Handling Models
- Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit (MODU)
- Semi-submersible Heavy-Lift Ship Float-On/Float-Off (FOFO)
The learning objective is to understand and operate the entire cargo & ballast handling system in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner. Whether choosing a K-Sim® Cargo full mission or PC desktop simulator, students or employees will learn a vast array of skills thanks to the pedagogical values and high fidelity realism the system offer.
- Typical training applications include the following
- Routine and emergency procedures
- Familiarisation with all parts of the cargo system
- Planning of cargo loading and discharge
- Use of loading computer
- Line up for loading and ballasting
- Line up for discharge
- Stripping of tanks by means of vacuum and ejector systems
- Topping up and finalising loading
- Aeration, inerting and nitrogen supply
- Compressor systems, heaters and boosters on LPG/E tankers
- LNG tankers with compressor systems and boil off
- Multiple loading/discharge operations with flexible connections on chemical tankers
- Discharge pump operation with dynamic pump and system performance curves
- Flow control in relation to stability and mechanical forces
- Communication to terminal, deck and cargo control room
Library of approved exercises
We offer a range of DNV SeaSkill approved LNG exercises, covering the basic training requirements for LNG operators.
- Exercise 1: Cargo Tank Drying
- Exercise 2: Nitrogen Purging of Inter barrier spaces
- Exercise 3: Inerting of Cargo Systems
- Exercise 4: Gassing Up of Cargo Systems
- Exercise 5: Cooling Down of Cargo
- Exercise 5: Cooling Down of Cargo Systems
- Exercise 6: Commence Loading & Deballasting
- Exercise 7: Complete Loading
- Exercise 8: Loaded and ballast Voyage BOG & Forced Vaporization
- Exercise 9: Ballast voyage tank cooling & BOG Management
- Exercise 10: Discharging
- Exercise 11: Boil Off and Tank Warm up
- Exercise 12: Gas Freeing
- Exercise 13: Air Purge
- Exercise 14: Gas Freeing single tank
- Exercise 15: Preparation & manifold Connection
- Exercise 16: Use of Emergency cargo pump
- Exercise 17: Emergency Discharge
- Exercise 18: Partly loading
- Exercise 19: Part Discharge
- Exercise 20: Leaking Cargo Tank