K-Sim ECDIS is a new cloud-based training solution designed to provide generic ECDIS training in compliance with the requirements laid out in the IMO Model Course 1.27.
Accessible as an online training solution on KONGSBERG’s digital platform K-Sim Connect, it enables schools and training centers to efficiently provide their students with high quality ECDIS training anytime and anywhere, without the need for major hardware investment.
Based upon several key elements from Kongsberg Maritime’s real-life K-Nav ECDIS, K-Sim ECDIS accommodates relevant and necessary functionality for instructing students in the key operations of electronic charts,route planning and navigation.
The system is delivered as a complete training package and include ready-made simulation exercises. When the students have run the exercise, instructors can download an assessment file with the score to give personal feedback.
Designed to comply with the IMO Model Course 1.27, K-Sim ECDIS covers the learning objectives of the operational use of ECDIS, for generic ECDIS training, including:
- Understanding the key operations of ECDIS navigation and the use of electronic charts
- Operating the system with available functions in order to navigate safely under all conditions
- Setting safety values
- Recognizing alarm and malfunction indicators and actions to be taken
- Operating basic navigational and specific functi ons of ECDIS for route planning, valididation and monitoring
- Route planning directly in the chart
- ENC charts with controls (Subscription dependent)
- Chart tools; EBL/VRM and Parallel index lines
- Route validation
- Route monitoring
- Grounding alarms
- AIS and ARPA targets
- RADAR overlay
TOwards a full range of training applications
K-Sim ECDIS is the second in a line of cloud-based training applications within the K-Sim Navigation portfolio on K-Sim Connect. Supplemented with K-Sim Radar and additional functionality, K-Sim Navigation will constitute a complete cloud-based training solution, compliant with all the requirements for ship officer training as stated in the STCW convention.