Survey Applications Engineer
The function of this role is to provide effective Onshore & Offshore technical support to Kongsberg Rental operations covering the following product ranges;
- Underwater Mapping (e.g. Multibeam Echosounders; EM2040; Data acquisition and processing)
- Seatex (e.g. Positioning Sensors; MRU/MGC; Seapath)
- Underwater Positioning & Communications (e.g. LBL/USBL; HiPAP/μPAP/cPAP; cNODE)
This role is ideally suited to an offshore surveyor or survey technician that is looking to transition from full time offshore operations to onshore, whilst keeping up to date their offshore skills with periodic field support work.
This role will play a key part in the planning, mobilisation, operation and demobilisation phases of rental and demo projects. You may also be required to provide technical support for our Global Sales and Customer Support departments. You may be required to travel at short notice in response to a customer request.
The position will be based at our office in Aberdeen, UK or New Orleans, USA, and will involve international travel to support onshore/offshore projects as required.
- Support rental projects during all stages.
- Perform workshop testing and maintenance on rental products.
- Work closely with sales and rental managers to promote rental business.
- Support field trials of new/existing products and provide feedback to product responsible departments.
- Together with technical staff in Norway, provide technical support of Sensors & Robotics products to customers, sales staff, customer support staff and rental staff by telephone, email and customer visits.
- Ensure communications from customers receive a response in a timely manner.
- Carry out installation, commissioning and upgrades of products and functions delivered by Kongsberg Maritime.
- Document upgrades and other changes made to Kongsberg Maritime systems following service and installation visits and report to documentation authority. Promote improvements, upgrades and aftersales opportunities to customers.
- Support customers in writing field operation procedures and provide onshore/offshore assistance during execution of the project.
- Conduct application specific customer training in subsea construction and survey with KM products.
- Maintain and update CRM, and other service databases.
- Maintain and update your technical knowledge on products delivered by KM.
- Promote correct use of KM procedures, processes, service tools and databases.
- Participate at industry events and conferences when required.
- Proactively engage with customers to provide technical workshops and lunch & learn events.
- Contribute towards effective team working and communication both internal/external.
- Undertake training as necessary to develop and maintain industry and technical knowledge of product portfolio.
Minimum Qualifications & Training
- Educated to HNC/HND in a relevant subject.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in technical support of hydroacoustic products.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working as part of an offshore survey team.
- Experience in hydrographic survey, and/or construction survey operations.
- Valid Offshore Survival and Medical Certificates, or ability to obtain.
- Full valid driving licence.
- A valid passport
- Eligible to work or obtain right to work in UK and/or USA
Additional Desirable Qualification and skills
- Educated to bachelor’s degree level or higher in hydrography, electronics, or relevant discipline.
- Experience as an offshore party chief or senior survey engineer/technician.
The following attributes are essential:
- Good English language skills, verbal and written
- Extensive offshore experience in survey positioning / survey construction operations
- Excellent computer literacy, including working experience of Microsoft Office
- Excellent attention to detail, quality and safety
- Ability to act on own initiative and work closely with teams
- Able to collaborate with colleagues, share knowledge, experience and information to support others in the pursuit of team goals
- Ability to communicate in a clear, precise and structured way with offshore, onshore and customer personnel
- Ability to work offshore and travel extensively and at short notice.