Principal Electrical Engineer
Kongsberg Maritime UK Ltd
The Principal Design Engineer will work as part of a multidisciplinary team producing designs for equipment associated with specialist Naval deck machinery, including Replenishment At Sea (RAS) equipment, winches, reelers and cranes. The position will entail whole life technical involvement from interpretation of customer requirements during tendering, through to concept development, detailed design, manufacturing support, testing and installation onboard the naval vessel. You will also be responsible for identifying and undertaking R&D and improvement activities to keep our product at the cutting edge of Naval technology.
- Lead the technical delivery of projects overseeing a multi-disciplinary team.
- Develop Electrical Engineering solutions that fulfil client requirements. Progressing from requirements capture, through concept design to product development, commissioning and in-service support.
- Identify and develop R&D and Continuous Improvement opportunities.
- Investigate Safety and Technical problems using structured problem solving techniques.
- Self motivated, prepared to use their own initiative and able to work independently or work effectively as part of a multidisciplined team.
- Provide technical reference / guidance to equipment suppliers, internal departments and customers. Approve / witness factory tests and inspections at supplier’s works.
- Manage supplier interfaces and provide technical assistance / approval to suppliers.
- Checking the technical work of others and provide technical guidance to colleagues in other departments and to suppliers and customers.
- Create technical design appraisal documents for submission to marine classification societies.
- Carry out Arc Flash assessments and other calculations to substantiate designs using Mathcad and Matlab.
- Other reasonable tasks as deemed appropriate to meet the needs of the business.
Key Experiences and any Qualification
- BEng in a Electrical/ Control Engineering discipline or equivalent technical capability based on practical knowledge and experience.
- Chartered Engineer with a relevant Institute or working towards Chartership.
- Engineering experience relevant to this role.
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry.
- Experience spanning concept, product development and in-service (ILS) support.
- Selection of AC and DC motor control systems (Direct on Line and AC and DC Variable Speed Drives).
- Design and prepare detailed electrical schematics, single line diagrams and cable schedules.
- Selection and programming of PLC’s, motion control and serial communication network systems (Beckhoff IPC and I/O Systems preferred).
- Selection / programming of closed loop position / motion control systems for rotating equipment.
- Production of technical specifications, test procedures and technical manuals for marine application electrical systems and components.
- Create technical equipment specifications, test procedures, design reports, test reports and service / instruction manuals in accordance with marine and military standards.
- Competent user of a recognised CAD package (AutoCAD, PromiseE, Medusa etc.) for the production of drawings and schematic diagrams.
- Competent user of MS Office suite of programmes (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power-point etc.).
- Conversant with BS EN 8888 for the production of drawings.
- Experience of working closely with suppliers.
- Ability to build relationships that bring together a broad range of talents, experience and perspectives thus promoting the "One Team" approach.
- Acts in a professional courteous manner to our colleagues and Customers at all times.
- Comply with the company's QHS&E policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in Business improvement activities.
KMCM Core Values
Functional/Technical Competencies and Levels
- Knowledge of the product safety and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of the product lifecycle requirements.
- Knowledge of the whole system technical attributes (as appropriate)
- Knowledge of the engineering change process.
Role Specific Dimensions
- Internal Interfaces (KMCM): Sales and Marketing, Quality, Export Control, Engineering, Operations, Projects, Procurement, Stores & Logistics, Finance, Service/Aftermarket
- External Interfaces: Customers, Suppliers, Classification Societies