KONGSBERG Maritime UK Ltd
The Mechanical Engineer will work as part of a multidisciplinary team producing designs for mechanical equipment associated with specialist Naval deck machinery, including Replenishment At Sea (RAS) equipment, winches, reelers and cranes. The position will entail whole life technical involvement from interpretation of customer requirements during tendering, through to concept development, detailed design, manufacturing support, testing and installation onboard the naval vessel. WIll also be responsible for identifying and undertaking R&D and improvement activities to keep our product at the cutting edge of Naval technology.
- Develop and assess Mechanical Engineering solutions that fulfil client and regulatory requirements. Progressing from requirements capture, through concept design to product development, commissioning and in-service support.
- Identify and develop R&D and Continuous Improvement opportunities.
- Investigate Technical problems using structured problem solving techniques.
- Self motivated, prepared to use their own initiative and able to work independently or work effectively as part of a multidisciplined team.
- Produce and update technical documentation in support of new and updated designs.
- Checking the technical work of others and provide technical guidance to colleagues in other departments and to suppliers and customers.
- Other reasonable tasks as deemed appropriate to meet the needs of the business.
Key Experiences and any Qualification
- BEng in a Mechanical Engineering discipline or equivalent technical capability based on practical knowledge and experience.
- Member of or working towards membership of a relevant professional institute.
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry.
- Engineering experience relevant to this role.
- Experience spanning concept, product development and in-service (ILS) support.
- Experience of creation of equipment assembly arrangements and Engineering Bills of Materials using the company ERP/MRP system.
- Assessment of designs to ensure code compliance. Using both hand calculations and Finite Elements Analysis (FEA) to assess and optimise the product.
- Experience of product development with 2D and 3D CAD systems such as AutoCAD and Creo.
- Competent user of MS Office suite of programmes (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power-point etc.).
- Conversant with BS EN 8888 and BS EN 22553 for the production of drawings.
- Experience of working closely with suppliers.
- Ability to build relationships that bring together a broad range of talents, experience and perspectives thus promoting the "One Team" approach.
- Acts in a professional courteous manner to our colleagues and Customers at all times.
- Compy with the company's QHS&E policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in Business improvement activities.
KMCM Core Values
Functional/Technical Competencies and Levels
- Excellent written & verbal communications
- Operation of 2D and 3D CAD systems
- Configuration control using data management systems
- Knowledge of the engineering change process
Role Specific Dimensions
- Internal Interfaces (KMCM): Sales and Marketing, Quality, Export Control, Engineering, Operations, Projects, Procurement, Stores & Logistics, Finance, Service/Aftermarket
- External Interfaces: Customers, Suppliers, Classification Societies