Mechanical Design Engineer
An exciting opportunity has arisen within our Commercial Marine business for the key role of Mechanical Design Engineer to deliver and expand our portfolio of marine stabiliser and steering products. From luxury yachts and cruise ships to merchant vessels and naval ships, our products have a reputation for in-service quality and reliability.
Reporting to the Mechanical Design and Applications Team Lead, you will undertake detail design of mechanical systems for marine applications (primarily ship stabiliser and steering systems). This will include all engineering activities from requirements analysis, sales support, specification and design, manufacturing support, testing, and through life technical support. The work covers the development of new designs as well as support for existing systems.
You may be required to travel occasionally to visit installations for sea-trials, fault diagnosis and customer support.
- Engineering tasks associated with the production of original equipment manufactured products, predominantly ship stabilisers and steering gear
- Calculations to support contract, design, and class society requirements
- CAD modelling, drawing and generation checking
- Customer and contact requirements analysis and specification
- Engineering support for sales and estimating
- Technical procedure and product manual writing
- Development and testing of new designs and prototypes
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years engineering experience
- Experience in design of mechanical components for steel fabrication & assembly
- Knowledge of manufacturing procedures, welding, machine shop, casting & forging techniques
- Knowledge of classification society rules
- Experience in manufacturing drawing generation for a production environment
- Experience in use of MRP / ERP systems
- Experience in 3D modelling and 2D design and drafting (PTC Creo 8 and AutoCAD)
- Knowledge of finite element analysis (ANSYS workbench 2019)
- Working knowledge of Mathcad Prime 8
- Experience in designing office calculations using a range of tools and techniques
- Good computer skills (MS Office, various relevant applications)
- Working knowledge of hydraulics an advantage
- Working knowledge of control systems an advantage
- Valid EU Passport or other current permission to work in the UK
You are able to
- act on own initiative, make things happen and accept responsibility for the results
- focus on bottom-line results, identify potential risks and monitor the financial impact of own activities
- use a methodical and systematic approach, plan ahead, define clear priorities and allocate resources effectively
- analyse complex issues and problems and come up with rational judgments
- communicate in a clear, precise and structured way
- co-operate well with others, share knowledge, experience, information and support others in the pursuit of team goals
What we can offer
- An exciting and important position working for the world-leading supplier of maritime solutions
- International work environment and multidisciplinary team collaboration
- Professional development and career opportunities
- We offer hybrid working arrangement
Point of contact
Andy Scott - Mechanical Design and Applications Team Lead
Kongsberg Maritime, a subsidiary of KONGSBERG, is a global marine technology company, providing innovative and reliable technology solutions for all marine industry sectors including merchant, offshore, subsea, and naval. Headquartered in Kongsberg, Norway, the company has manufacturing, sales and service facilities in 34 countries. Kongsberg Maritime is part of KONGSBERG, an international, knowledge-based group delivering high-technology systems and solutions to clients within the oil and gas industry, merchant marine, defence and aerospace.
Our Deck Machinery and Motion Control division owns, develops, and delivers world class handling solutions, with focus on system solutions and integration driving increased efficiency in our customers' operations. The division is responsible for product and technology development, supply chain operations and project delivery for all Kongsberg Maritime’s winches and handling solutions.
At Kongsberg, we believe in tackling challenging problems and delivering extreme performance for extreme conditions. We do that through excellent products and services developed for delivering the greatest benefits to our customers.
WORLD CLASS – through people, technology, and dedication