Electrical Design Team Leader
An exciting opportunity has arisen as Electrical Design Team Leader, reporting to the Engineering Manager. You will work as part of a multidisciplinary team producing designs for equipment associated with specialist Naval deck machinery, including Replenishment At Sea (RAS) equipment, winches, reelers and cranes. The position will entail whole life technical involvement from interpretation of customer requirements during tendering, through to concept development, detailed design, manufacturing support, testing and installation onboard the naval vessel. You will also be responsible for identifying and undertaking R&D and improvement activities to keep our product at the cutting edge of Naval technology.
You will have the opportunity to be a part of the Marine industry’s leading edge. Joining the business at an exciting time, you’ll use your skills and experience to the full, in an environment where excellence is always paramount.
We're at the forefront of innovation and experience in the Marine sector, and our product portfolio ranges from standalone products to complex integrated systems including ship design. A leading provider of propulsion and handling solutions for the maritime offshore, merchant, and naval markets, we have more than 4,000 customers, with 70 naval forces and over 30,000 commercial vessels using our equipment.
Applicants with previous experience in the marine or offshore oil and gas industry are preferred.
- Lead the technical delivery of projects overseeing a multi-disciplinary team.
- Provide line management of the electrical engineering team members.
- Develop Electrical Engineering solutions that fulfil client requirements. Progressing from requirements capture, through concept design to product development, commissioning, and in-service support.
- Identify and develop R&D and Continuous Improvement opportunities.
- Investigate Safety and Technical problems using structured problem-solving techniques.
- Work effectively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Provide technical reference / guidance to equipment suppliers, internal departments, and customers. Approve / witness factory tests and inspections at supplier’s works.
- Manage supplier interfaces and provide technical assistance / approval to suppliers.
- Checking the technical work of others and provide technical guidance to colleagues in other departments and to suppliers and customers.
- Create technical design appraisal documents for submission to marine classification societies.
- Manage Requirements, Risks, Assumptions, Interfaces, and Issues during all design phases.
Qualifications and experience
- MEng or BEng in Electrical Engineering or Control Engineering.
- Chartered Engineer with a relevant Institute or working towards Chartership.
- 10 years engineering experience relevant to this role.
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry.
- Proven track record in leading the technical delivery of projects to quality, cost, and schedule.
- Experience spanning concept, product development and in-service (ILS) support.
- Selection of AC and DC motor control systems (Direct on Line and AC and DC Variable Speed Drives).
- Design and prepare detailed electrical schematics, single line diagrams and cable schedules.
- Selection and programming of PLC’s, motion control and serial communication network systems (Beckhoff IPC and I/O Systems preferred).
- Selection / programming of closed loop position / motion control systems for rotating equipment.
- Production of technical specifications, test procedures and technical manuals for marine application electrical systems and components.
- Create technical equipment specifications, test procedures, design reports, test reports and service / instruction manuals in accordance with marine and military standards.
- Competent user of a recognised CAD package (AutoCAD, PromiseE, Medusa etc.) for the production of drawings and schematic diagrams.
- Competent user of MS Office suite of programmes (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power-point etc.).
- Applicants should be used to working in a controlled documentation environment, be self-motivated, and have the attitude to contribute positively to a coherent team.
- Good written and verbal communication skills are required together with the ability to interface effectively with formal external approval bodies such as marine classification societies and UK Ministry of Defence departments.
Some of the contracts undertaken are for the UK Ministry of Defence and as such the successful candidate will be required to successfully attain UK BPSS or SC Clearance with no caveats.
You are able to
- make an impact, convince, and persuade others and promote plans and ideas successfully
- adhere to company rules and procedures and execute plans with commitment and determination
- use a methodical and systematic approach, plan ahead, define clear priorities and allocate resources effectively
- analyse complex issues and problems and come up with rational judgments
- demonstrate specialist knowledge and expertise in own area
- co-operate well with others, share knowledge, experience, information, and support others in the pursuit of team goals
What we can offer you
With us, you will be offered a competitive salary and benefit packages with good development opportunities in an international environment. We have flexible work hours and holiday arrangements in addition to a good pension and insurance scheme. We offer an inspiring and safe work-environment and the possibility to work with sustainable and exciting solutions for the future.
Kongsberg Maritime, a subsidiary of KONGSBERG, is a global marine technology company, providing innovative and reliable technology solutions for all marine industry sectors including merchant, offshore, subsea and naval. Headquartered in Kongsberg, Norway, the company has manufacturing, sales and service facilities in 34 countries. Kongsberg Maritime is part of KONGSBERG, an international, knowledge-based group delivering high-technology systems and solutions to clients within the oil and gas industry, merchant marine, defence and aerospace.
Our Deck Machinery and Motion Control division owns, develops, and delivers world class handling solutions, with focus on system solutions and integration driving increased efficiency in our customers' operations. The division is responsible for product and technology development, supply chain operations and project delivery for all Kongsberg Maritime’s winches and handling solutions.
At Kongsberg, we believe in tackling challenging problems and delivering extreme performance for extreme conditions. We do that through excellent products and services developed for delivering the greatest benefits to our customers.
WORLD CLASS – through people, technology, and dedication